Friday, September 1, 2017

My Amazing Butterfly Adventure


I feel blessed to have had a wonderful
Butterfly surprise this summer.
As I showed in an earlier post I was able to find 6
Monarch eggs on my milkweed I planted.

They all went to the top successfully and formed
Chrysalis.  I am thankful that nothing
went wrong and no diseases appeared.
I discovered from my Facebook groups posts
many things can go wrong.  


Having never done this, it was all a new
and exciting experience. 


This is when five of them were up transforming.


As they get closer to emerging the chrysalis
becomes transparent.  I have to add the
chrysalis are small, no longer than an inch.


So surprising how this butterfly
emerges from such a small space.


They hang upside down to dry their wings
and pump fluid into them.


It was such a wonderful thing for me... that I just
fell into accidentally.  I look forward to doing it
next year and helping in the migration.  I read that
if left in the wild there is only a 10% chance in
survival from predators.  Then in the migration there is
more risk in them successfully making it to Mexico
Apparently they are killed primarily by cars.
I am very hopeful mine will make it to Mexico...


Look at this beautiful male #1.  Notice the
two black dots in the orange
by the tail of his body which
indicate he is a male.


This one a female #2.


In all 2 males and 4 females emerged.
All healthy with no deformities.


If felt amazingly special to hold a
butterfly in my  hand!!!
Their legs feel like they have little
suction cups and they 
kind of grip on to you.




Male #2 was in a big hurry to go and flew up into
my tree quickly.  This being the only picture
I got of him.


Farewell beauties.  I hope you make it to Mexico.


I think they will make an appearance in my 
pottery in the future.







1 comment:

  1. Your blog was so nice and very attractive to see. Thank you so much for sharing these nice articles online shopping

    ReplyDelete